The office of Deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of sympathy, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, of exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, warm sympathies, and sound judgment should be chosen for this office” It is a ministry of caring; a ministry of love; a ministry of compassion; and a ministry of prayer, and community service.
Deacon candidates are nominated. Session approves the candidate list and then the congregation votes on the candidates at the Annual Church meeting in late January. New Deacons are Ordained in a ceremony in front of the congregation. This commissions them to a position within the church. Deacons serve for a three year term and can renew for an additional three years. However, “Once a Deacon, always a Deacon”. The Deacon team is led by a moderator, elected by the Deacons.
Current Deacon Team
Pam Kellmann - Co-Moderator (May - Oct)
Lew Theokas Ellen Gregory Mike Nygro
Chuck Edwards Trish Miller-Edwards Marcie Theokas
Barbara Schlegel Barbara Syas Dee Thomas
What We Do
Some of the specific duties of our Deacons include:
- Prepare the Fellowship Hall for Sunday fellowship
- Set up and serve fellowship drinks and refreshments
- Clean up afterwards
- Monitor and maintain fellowship supply inventory
- Preparation of Sanctuary
- Communion set up and clean up
- Serve communion
- Assist with special events
- Concerts, speakers, rummage sales, pot lucks, garage sales…..
- Sanctuary colors, candles, pew supplies and general tidiness
- Organization and housekeeping of storage areas
- Memorial Service Support
- Work with Pastor to identify requirements and then coordinate
- Schedule and train Greeters
- Cards: Thank You, Thinking of You, Birthday, Anniversary etc.
In addition to the above, the Deacons are very active in all aspects of our church. Our Deacons are actively involved in the work of essentially all of the Church Ministries.
If Deacons really are people persons and represent the heart of the church then there is almost no limit to what they might do together in the name of the compassion and justice of Jesus Christ. As those called by Him to care for others, they are only limited by their own imaginations and the direction given them by the Holy Spirit.
Many people look for ways they can serve the church. Being a Deacon is a great way to meet that calling. We always welcome members of the church to become a Deacon. Please talk to a Deacon moderator or any of our Deacons to learn more. We will leave the light on!